National Cerebral and Cardiovascular


Research Institute

Childcare Support

The National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center (NCVC) plans to "help their employees enjoy both work and childcare"in the General Employers Action Plan that we published based on the Act on Advancement of Measures to Support Raising Next Generation Children and the Act on Promotion of Women's Participation and Advancement in the Workplace.

We provide support for pregnancy, childbirth, and childcare.
Don't struggle alone. Consult with us!

Here, you can learn the national laws and procedures applicable to the NCVC regarding pregnancy, childbirth, and childcare for employees. Most of the support systems are available only when you apply or make a request. We are here to help if you are having difficulty caring for your baby and working at the same time. Don't struggle alone. Feel free to consult with us.

When you find out you are pregnant

Tell your manager and obtain a medical certificate containing the due date (or a copy of the Mother and Child Health Handbook containing the due date). The level of morning sickness differs from person to person. If yours is severe, it may affect your work. Consult with your manager so that you get support from your colleagues. Also, speak with the manager regarding your plans for maternity leave.

Prenatal checkup

The maternal protection provision in the Equal Employment Opportunity Act prescribes that employers secure the necessary time off so that pregnant employees may receive health examinations. Please request the time off for a checkup in one of the following ways:

  1. Request the time required within the working day (in minutes) by submitting "Application for Receiving a Prenatal Checkup".
  2. Request the time required using paid vacation (in hours or days).

Work reduction

The maternal protection provision of the Labor Standards Lawprescribes a reduction of work and other measures to be secured for pregnant (and nursing) employees.

  1. Late-night shifts, overtime, and work on holidays can be eliminated or restricted. Please submit the Application for the Acceptance of the Exemption/Restriction of Late-Night Shifts and Overtime Work for Pregnant and Nursing Employees".
  2. If your work is deemed to involve physical labor or odors that could affect you or your unborn child, you can be transferred to another position.
  3. You are entitled to take a break for a rest or supplemental meal within your work hours.
  4. If you need to rest at home or be hospitalized, contact your manager first and consult an occupational health physician at the Health Management Office. Sick leave can be taken for the same diagnosis for up to 90 days but if more time is required, you may need to consider paid vacation or administrative leave due to sickness. Please consult your Human Resources Section for details.

The Mother and Child Health Management and Guidance Card containing your physician's comments will facilitate the process.
A medical certificate is available for a fee, while the Guidance Card may be obtained free of charge.

Commute reduction

If crowded public transportation is deemed to affect the mother and unborn child's health, submit the "Application for the Acceptance of Reducing Commutes for Pregnant Employees". You'll be able to adjust your work start and/or end time by a combined maximum of one hour to avoid rush hour.

Maternity leave before childbirth

You are entitled to maternity leave from six weeks before your due date to the day of childbirth (14 weeks for multiple pregnancies).
Submit a copy of the Mother and Child Health Handbook containing the due date together with the Notification of Special Leave.
If your due date is changed before your Maternity Leave begins due to a c-section or planned delivery, the leave can be based on the new due date.


  1. To cover the cost of childbirth, a lump-sum allowance is provided to full-time employees through the Mutual Aid Association and to part-time employees through the Japan Health Insurance Association. Full-time employees receive an additional allowance for childbirth.
    Normally, the health care facility that you use for childbirth will be responsible for handling payments. These allowances also cover premature birth, stillbirth, or miscarriage that occurs after 4 months (85 days) of pregnancy. A twin birth will be covered by double the payment amount. See the Mutual Aid Association Handbook for details.
  2. If the childbirth is in the scope of the High-cost Medical Expense Benefit, as in the case of a c-section, submitting the Eligibility Certificate for Ceiling-Amount Application to the health care facility will reduce the amount of your payment when you are discharged from the hospital.
  3. Make sure you file all the necessary documents to register your child as a dependent as well as his/her health insurance status.

Maternity leave after childbirth

You cannot work for eight weeks from the day after your delivery (you can work after six weeks if you request it and the physician permits it). Submit a copy of the Record of Delivery in the Mother and Child Health Handbook or Childbirth Certificate together with the Notification of Special Leave.

Childcare leave

Both women and men are entitled to childcare leave. Normally, the leave lasts until the child turns one year old for part-time employees and three years old for full-time employees. Please consult the Human Resource Section for details. Also, consult your manager to prepare for returning to work. Qualified employees will receive a childcare stipend.

Shortened work hours for childcare, childcare time

Your salary will be reduced based on your work hours.

Shortened work hours: If you can work only in the morning or on the days when your parent or partner can look after the child

  1. Your work hours can be between 19 hours, 25 minutes and 24 hours, 35 minutes per week.
  2. You can take advantage of the shortened work hours until your child finishes the third grade of elementary school.
  3. For example, you can work in the morning only or full time with flexible days such as three days per week.
  4. Applications should be received at least one month in advance.

Childcare time: For securing time for dropping off and picking up a child at daycare

  1. Your work hours can be shortened up to two hours at the beginning and/or end of a work day.
  2. Childcare time can be used until your child starts elementary school.
  3. The original work hours cannot be changed.
  4. Applications should be received at least one week in advance.

Restriction of late-night shift and overtime work can be requested to secure time for child care before the child enters elementary school. Early/late shift scheduling can also be requested to accommodate dropping off or picking up your elementary school child at after-school care facilities.

Other leave for urgent reasons

  1. A sick child: The NCVC childcare facility doesn't offer daycare for sick children. You may be able to use a subsidized daycare service provided by a municipality (or other daycare center outside your place of residence) or babysitting services. If you want to take a leave of absence to take care of a sick child before the child starts school, up to five days per year (10 days for those with two or more children under elementary school age) may be requested as a special leave of absence. Please use your vacation days if you exceed the number of allocated days.
  2. Weather warning: If your child is not at school due to a typhoon or other reasons and you have to take a day off, paid vacation will be applied.

Ohisama Daycare at the NCVC

You can use our daycare facility, the Ohisama Daycare Center, located at the NCVC when your child turns 57 days old until pre-school age. Although the facility may be at capacity toward the end of the fiscal year, we may be able to accommodate your child in the middle of the fiscal year or the center can be used on a part-time basis so that your child is used to our facilities by the time you return to work. If you're nursing an infant of up to 12 months old, you're entitled to take time for nursing for 30 minutes twice a day. The center also provides a daycare service for children recovering from illnesses. The fee for children three years and older can be waived under the national coverage program; however, we request that the children's guardians facilitate this process, as it may differ by municipality.

Using the support systems

  • In general, a leave of absence related to child care is considered paid leave for full-time employees, and may be considered unpaid leave for part-time employees. Benefits available from your spouse's work need to be checked as well.
  • By submitting the "Application Form for Exemption of the Premium", you'll be exempted from paying the social insurance premium (health insurance, pension, etc.) including the bonus (it will be counted toward the period for which the insurance premium was paid).
  • If your income is reduced due to maternity or childcare leave, you may be qualified for a reduction of the resident tax.
  • Full-time employees are entitled to measures including the revision of the standard income at the end of maternity leave, the revision of standard income at the end of childcare leave, and special measures for association members who are raising a child under three years old. These measures require filing out an application. For details, please see the Mutual Aid Association Guidebook, which is available in the Mutual Aid Association section on the Garoon bulletin board.
  • An NCVC employee who will be a father can benefit from a special leave (up to five days) or "paid vacation"before and after childbirth. Childcare leave, shortened work hours for childcare, and childcare time are available to male employees as well. During childcare leave, qualified employees can be exempted from paying social insurance premiums.

If you learn of changes to the support system regulations let us know at

Procedures and contacts (as of July 1, 2019)

*Full-time and part-time employees follow different procedures and must contact different sections.

Maternity leave (before/after childbirth) and other special leaves of absence

  • Full-time employees affiliated with the hospital: General Affairs Section at Extension 31121
  • Part-time employees affiliated with the hospital: Staff Section at Extension 31124
  • Employees affiliated with the research institute and other organizations outside the hospital: Research Institute Administration Section at Extension 31010

Lump-sum allowance for childbirth, high-cost medical expense benefit

  • Full-time: Public Welfare Section at Extension 40027
  • Part-time: Salary Section at Extension 40023

Childcare leave, shortened work hours for childcare

  • All employees: Human Resource Section at Extension 40021

Consultation for maternity harassment

  • All employees: Division of Human Resources, Staff Section Manager at Extension 40025

last updated:2021/10/01

Site setting